- Use laundry stain pre-treater to loosen labels and sticky adhesive on hard surfaces.
- In addition to keeping your fingernails smooth, emery boards can gently rub away stains on suede shoes and bags.
- Rubbing your hands on a stainless steel spoon under running water will help remove the stubborn smell of garlic and onions.
- Slip the stems of floppy flowers into drinking straws before putting the flower into a vase - it will help the flower stand up straight.
Monday, January 14, 2013
Save money by using the items you already have on hand in new ways, as substitutes to buying single purpose gadgets. Here are some ideas:
Posted by Insider Travel Guides at 3:08 PM
Thursday, January 3, 2013
We are huge fans of finding new ways to use products we already have on hand -- it is a great money-saving technique. Duct tape and vaseline, for example, are well known for their versatility. Here are some other items that are useful in more ways than one (all gleaned from Real Simple):
- Clear-gel deodorant can be used to prevent blisters when you are breaking in new shoes. Just rub it on the hot spot.
- Clip-on earrings can double as embellishments for plain pumps or flat shoes. Just slip them them on the center of each shoe and you'll have a whole new look.
- Lollipops make great cocktail stirrers - use them in festive colors and flavors that go well with your featured drink.
- Old CDs and DVDs can have new lives as coasters.
- All sizes and shapes of drinking glasses can be used as holders for votive candles. Just use sand or small stones to anchor the candle if the bottom the glass isn't flat.
- Foil cupcake liners can also serve as holders for votive candles or tea lights in a pinch.
- Need to make ice for your punch bowl? Use baking pans: bundt pans make pretty rings, and even cupcake pans will make larger ice pieces that melt more slowly than regular ice cubes.
- Use double-sided tape to fix a skirt or pant hem.
- Stop static cling with dryer sheets (just rub them on clothing or hair) and with hairspray.
- Out of mascara? Substitute petroleum jelly - if you brush it on with a clean brush, you can emphasize your lashes with extra length and shine.
- 34 Clever Uses For Coffee Filters Other Than Making Coffee
Posted by Insider Travel Guides at 8:10 PM